Carter Mini Talon wont pull itself

Carter Bros / A.C.E. and Ken-Bar Fun-Carts & Buggies

Carter Mini Talon wont pull itself

Postby corysam » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:19 pm

i have a Carter Mini Talon kart and it wont pull itself. When you gas it, it makes a scraping sound but it doesnt move. i think it's supposed to be friction drive so i think its going to be some kind of adjustment or replacement of a clutch or something. i haven't removed the cover on the kart yet. i'll do it this weekend. any pointers?

thanks
corysam
Rookie
Rookie

Postby MEMPHIS » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:06 pm

take those covers off and take some pictures, that way we can see what is wrong... thanks
Speed is a necessity!!!!!
Bet u 10 bucks, i can beat u across the line.
If u go any slower, my grandma is going to past u for the 2nd time!!
If u dont go fast enough, i WILL run over u!!
MEMPHIS
Superior Being
Superior Being

Postby nvmyengine » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:13 pm

is it like a grinding sound and the kart kinda moves a tiny bit
my rides-
mtd mimi bike
garden tractors

can you believe that i have over 2000 posts
nvmyengine
Superior Being
Superior Being

Re: Carter Mini Talon wont pull itself

Postby Red-85-Z51 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:25 am

corysam wrote:i have a Carter Mini Talon kart and it wont pull itself. When you gas it, it makes a scraping sound but it doesnt move. i think it's supposed to be friction drive so i think its going to be some kind of adjustment or replacement of a clutch or something. i haven't removed the cover on the kart yet. i'll do it this weekend. any pointers?

thanks

On the mini talon or "turtle" models, the engine runs one speed all the time.

Pushing the motion pedal activates a cable that pulles a rubber disk up into a plate that is on the engines's crank shaft.

If it makes a grinding noise, like metal to metal, the rubber wheel make be worn out and would require replacement.

If the cable is stretched, it may need an adjustment, or a replacement.

Keep the oil level in check on that 3.5 Tecumseh, I see more of those karts with ventilated blocks than anything!
Red-85-Z51
Superior Being
Superior Being

Postby corysam » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:34 pm

nv - it doesnt move at all. it sounds like what red z51 is saying. i'm going to check it out this pm. i'll try to remember to get some pics.
corysam
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Offroadkarter » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:56 pm

As an obvious remark, check the clutch. I dont know why carter doesnt act like there tj powersport counterparts and put a 2spd tranny instead of a small tiller engine in there mini talons.

If the rear swingarms are the same a swap is possible. hmm......
2004 Manco 906C

2005 Blade 150GT w/ 2006 modified motor
Offroadkarter
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Postby Red-85-Z51 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:47 pm

The "snapper drive" using the steel plate and rubber disc is maintainance free, and very reliable, The rubber disc just needs to be replaced after a while, it's cheap.

This drive style is simple, lightweight, and inexpensive to produce.

You know it only goes about 8mph, wide open, pedal all the way down...it's really only for kids 3 years, 5 years old, a fun replacement for the "electric power wheels" of my childhood.
Red-85-Z51
Superior Being
Superior Being

Postby corysam » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:28 pm

ok, i took it apart. i have some photos but i dont have my camera here. i'll post them later. apparently the rubber disc is completely used up. there's a plate on the bottom of the engine with some rubber build up on it and there's a ton of rubber residue all over inside the bottom cover. I've never seen a drive system like this. very simple. I'm going to the kart shop later to pick up a replacement disc. does it attach with adhesive to the plate on the bottom of the engine? or do you replace the plate? what about the wheel that's attached to the end of the axle? do you typically replace that too?

thanks guys
corysam
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Red-85-Z51 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:39 pm

corysam wrote:ok, i took it apart. i have some photos but i dont have my camera here. i'll post them later. apparently the rubber disc is completely used up. there's a plate on the bottom of the engine with some rubber build up on it and there's a ton of rubber residue all over inside the bottom cover. I've never seen a drive system like this. very simple. I'm going to the kart shop later to pick up a replacement disc. does it attach with adhesive to the plate on the bottom of the engine? or do you replace the plate? what about the wheel that's attached to the end of the axle? do you typically replace that too?

thanks guys

Clean the plate up with some sandpaper, the buildup is from kids riding the pedal, not fully engaging it.

The rubber wheel should be all that you have to replace.
Red-85-Z51
Superior Being
Superior Being

Postby corysam » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:12 pm

i replied but its being reviewed before posting. i cant imagine what triggered the review. i'll let you know.
corysam
Rookie
Rookie

Postby corysam » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:54 pm

i put 3 photos in my gallery. i hope you have rights to it. This was an easy & cheap fix. thanks for everybody's help.

BUMPOST

just a warning.

Red-85-Z51
corysam
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Red-85-Z51 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:17 pm

Glad you got it all going good again, Ill bet it's a whole different machine now huh?

Hope you hang around!

Those pics are nice, very clear.
Red-85-Z51
Superior Being
Superior Being

Postby corysam » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:36 pm

ok, its finally fixed. i went to my local go kart shop but the guy was no help. and he's a Carter dealer. so i called Carter and ordered the rubber wheel. The Carter cust service was the best. The wheel was 20 something dollars including shipping. it was easy to install and i have some pics but i cant figure out how to upload them. when i click insert an image, it wants a url. there on my local desktop. thanks guys for all your help.
corysam
Rookie
Rookie

Postby j_p_designs » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:33 pm

My friend just bought this kind of cart and can not find this part. Does anyone know where to get the rubber disc? Thanks!
j_p_designs

Postby gofastman » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:09 pm

it was three years ago.not as many people get on as much as they used to.
Fix things even if they are not broke. Its called UPGRADES!!
tease
gofastman

Ride: Murray Explorer

Postby corysam » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:35 pm

I buy mine directly from Catrer Bros. here: http://www.carterbro.com/minitalon_home.html
Their on-line store isw a little hard to navigate. I cqall their partsw dept. hth
corysam
Rookie
Rookie

Return to Carter/ACE & Ken-Bar Go-Carts Buggies