Murray Explorer ignition help.

Murray & Yerf-Dog (USA) Fun-Karts, GoCarts

Murray Explorer ignition help.

Postby pbman657 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:08 pm

hey, i recently bought a murray explorer. The owner included the key to the ignition however it simply does nothing. i will flip the red switch to on thats on the engine however when i turn the key to the ignition it dosent do anything, no sounds, etc. i can still start the kart with the recoil start and once its on and iding, the key has no effect on the kart (IE:when i turn the key to "off", nothing happens"). and i would like to get it out of the way to make starting it simpler and easier. if it helps the key is a bit rusty.
pbman657

Postby hd4ou » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:05 am

that key is simply a kill switch. it is NOT a key to start the engine. if has to be ON for engine to start. turn it to off and it kills the engine. its a safety device. if it doesn't do these 2 things then either the little switch is bad or the ground is not making contact or the wire that runs to the engine is broke or not hooked up.
hd4ou
Team Member
Team Member

Postby Bookem Dan-o » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:10 am

i have the same problem, it just dosent work no matter what. even is running and the key is turned off. help!!!
Book'em Dan-O
Bookem Dan-o

Postby gofastman » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:10 pm

ok,first make sure all the connections are good.on switch,on frame,and engine.hopefully its not the connection on the ignition coil.if so,better be good a engine.we'll help though.
Fix things even if they are not broke. Its called UPGRADES!!
tease
gofastman

Ride: Murray Explorer

Same problem with on/off switch and key

Postby stigs kart » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:44 am

My son's explorer (got it cheap of craigslist) has the same issue.. on/off switch doesnt work at all and the whole wire from the key to the motor (tecumseh 6hp) is completely missing! (have to pull the plug wire to shut the thing down). Anyone know how to fix this? Do I have to remove the cover and pull the flywheel to get to the magneto? Thanks!
stigs kart

Re: Same problem with on/off switch and key

Postby BlackScorpion » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:46 pm

stigs kart wrote:My son's explorer (got it cheap of craigslist) has the same issue.. on/off switch doesnt work at all and the whole wire from the key to the motor (tecumseh 6hp) is completely missing! (have to pull the plug wire to shut the thing down). Anyone know how to fix this? Do I have to remove the cover and pull the flywheel to get to the magneto? Thanks!

Yep, your going to trace the old existing wire and see if it needs replacing. What model number is that engine? See if this Diagram will help you.
]If it aint broke.... then MODIFY it!
Think Different....Think outside the box...

BlackScorpion
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Ride: Carter XTV 150

Postby stigs kart » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:37 pm

Thanks but there is no wire to trace.. cant tell where it would even go into the motor (its a tecumseh 6hp - HH60 I think)
stigs kart

Postby stigs kart » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:40 pm

oh! sorry blackscorpion.. you meant pull the cover and trace where the wires run inside the motor? Thanks again.
stigs kart

Postby BlackScorpion » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:56 pm

stigs kart wrote:oh! sorry blackscorpion.. you meant pull the cover and trace where the wires run inside the motor? Thanks again.

Yes, Download this Manual it pretty much covers all the basics for the Tecumseh motor including the electrical diagram... :3some:
]If it aint broke.... then MODIFY it!
Think Different....Think outside the box...

BlackScorpion
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Ride: Carter XTV 150

Return to Murray / Yerf Dog Go-Karts