Helix 150CC drains battery.

Manco & American SportWorks GoKarts, Buggies, Scooters, Mini-Bikes

Helix 150CC drains battery.

Postby jpdrummo » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:20 pm

I saw a post about this from 2009, but there was not solution. I purchased a Helix 150CC, and thought I had a simple battery or electrical connection issue, but I think there is something more. I replaced the battery with a new one, and within two days, the kart will drain the battery to where it is completely dead. Unhooking the battery certainly stops this, but the two shut off switches do not affect the drain. Has anyone traced this back to a short? Can you buy a new wiring harness if we think it is a wire short? Is it possible it is something in the charging/alternator system? (is this charged by the Magento/stator?)
jpdrummo

Ride: Helix 150

Re: Helix 150CC drains battery.

Postby gofastman » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:08 pm

Welcome, it could very well be something with the charging system. For it to drain the battery in a couple days, it must be drawing pretty good. Check for warm things, it can help point in the right direction.
Fix things even if they are not broke. Its called UPGRADES!!
tease
gofastman

Ride: Murray Explorer

Postby BlackScorpion » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:39 pm

Something electrical is killing the battery. My first suggestions is check all the wiring, make sure no wires are stripped, loose or clamped against the frame. If you have lights installed on it check them also .

Then is that come up negative you will need to do some troubleshooting: Troubleshooting Guide
]If it aint broke.... then MODIFY it!
Think Different....Think outside the box...

BlackScorpion
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Ride: Carter XTV 150

Postby jpdrummo » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:57 pm

Gofastman,
You say it might be in the charging system. I am trying to figure out how this battery is charged in this system. If there is no alternator what is charging the battery?
jpdrummo

Ride: Helix 150

Postby gofastman » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:24 pm

It is basically like any car with an alternator. The only difference is the alternator is built in to the motor. The flywheel has magnets on the inside of it. There is also a stator that goes inside the flywheel and lines up with the magnets. As the magnets rotate it makes electricity in AC. It then travels to a rectifier/regulator. This converts AC to DC which is battery voltage and regulates it around 14v. If something is faulty then there is a chance it will leak power to ground and drain the battery. Hope this helps.
Fix things even if they are not broke. Its called UPGRADES!!
tease
gofastman

Ride: Murray Explorer

Return to American SportWorks / Manco Go-Karts & Buggies