How do i take off the governor on a yerf dog 3203

Murray & Yerf-Dog (USA) Fun-Karts, GoCarts

How do i take off the governor on a yerf dog 3203

Postby motorman » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:59 pm

This is my first post so...
i have a yerf dog 3203 topped it out at 31 mph.i want to take off the governor so i can go atleast to go 40 45 miles.
please be descrpitive. tell me where its located and how to take it off.
thanks
motorman
Rookie
Rookie

Postby motorman » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:11 pm

anyone that can help.please
motorman
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Red-85-Z51 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:32 pm

With the 6.5 Power SPorts Tecumseh...Id be happy with 31. Any more revs and that engine is apt to throw the rod, or rip the wrist pin out of the piston. They really dont take well to being revved at all, and I see them all the time with broken connecting rods where people have even left the gov. intact, just bumped it up a little.

Most any other engine, I say go for it..but a tecumseh, no way Id rev it up without a Billet Rod at the very least.
Red-85-Z51
Superior Being
Superior Being

Postby motorman » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:03 pm

Red-85-Z51 wrote:With the 6.5 Power SPorts Tecumseh...Id be happy with 31. Any more revs and that engine is apt to throw the rod, or rip the wrist pin out of the piston. They really dont take well to being revved at all, and I see them all the time with broken connecting rods where people have even left the gov. intact, just bumped it up a little.

Most any other engine, I say go for it..but a tecumseh, no way Id rev it up without a Billet Rod at the very least.

Can you tell me were the governor is located at? And how to take it off?
Thanks
motorman
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Red-85-Z51 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:22 pm

motorman wrote:
Red-85-Z51 wrote:With the 6.5 Power SPorts Tecumseh...Id be happy with 31. Any more revs and that engine is apt to throw the rod, or rip the wrist pin out of the piston. They really dont take well to being revved at all, and I see them all the time with broken connecting rods where people have even left the gov. intact, just bumped it up a little.

Can you tell me were the governor is located at? And how to take it off?
Thanks

There is a good reason that no small engine shop worth a darn will remove a Governor, or give advice on how to remove or modify a governor. We wont even touch a Kart that is off the governor, or has been modifed.

Here on GKRU, we are the same way. If we tell you how to remove your gov, and you do it, or do it incorrectly, and you get hurt or killed as a result, the ball rolls back to us. Personally I dont want to be responsible for telling someone how to remove a governor, and the thing sticks wide open on the first ride and the 8lb Iron flywheel comes apart at high rpms and exits the blower housing, paralyzing the driver. It's serious business and Tecumseh has the worst trackrecord of all Gokart engines for coming apart when taken off the governor.

A man was killed at a Kart venue when a 5hp Briggs was running on a kart, off the governor, and the flywheel split apart and a large peice went into the audience, decapitating a man in the stands...yes, this really happened, and as a result in modifed racing the stock flywheel is illegal.

Removing the governor requires removing the engine from the kart, removing the sidecover, taking parts out, removing a few parts on the outside, and fabricating a throttle setup from scratch along with return springs, and even then it makes the kart hard to start because there is no governor to hold the throttle open while cranking. Stock speed is 3600 rpms...Valve float is about 5800, the stock rod will come apart before the valves float, the stock flywheel...who knows.

Again, Im not trying to be rude, but it takes a mechanical understanding of the engine to know exactly how to modify parts, and make it all reliable and safe. We want you posting from your computer desk...not from your Hospital room.

If you can find a Tecumseh OHV repair book, it does layout how the Governor works, what all the peices do, and how to remove them...but I really cant stress how this isnt the engine you want to degovern.
Red-85-Z51
Superior Being
Superior Being

Postby geo10 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:02 am

Hey I used to own a dog send me a picture of the engine (email removed) b/c I took it of mine
uti

<--System Note--> SHOUTING (Caps Lock) words used in this post were automatically converted to lowercase.
geo10

Ride: yddd

Postby The tech guy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:18 am

Guys if you want to remove the governor, please take it to another forum. Its way too dangerous. Unless you plan on running billet internals its useless. As Red stated, it can kill someone. GKRU isnt a big fan of this topic. If you want it faster get another engine already modified for speed. Red isnt being a jerk on his comments. These are facts!
The tech guy
Superior Being
Superior Being

Postby nvmyengine » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:52 pm

another thing to add, certain classes for racing mowers must have a flywheel gaurd fabricated in case of a flywheel coming apart
my rides-
mtd mimi bike
garden tractors

can you believe that i have over 2000 posts
nvmyengine
Superior Being
Superior Being

Postby BlackScorpion » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:51 pm

The tech guy wrote:Guys if you want to remove the governor, please take it to another forum. Its way too dangerous. Unless you plan on running billet internals its useless. As Red stated, it can kill someone. GKRU isnt a big fan of this topic. If you want it faster get another engine already modified for speed. Red isnt being a jerk on his comments. These are facts!

I agree with Red and the Tech guys it;s way to dangerous to run the engine with no governor.
]If it aint broke.... then MODIFY it!
Think Different....Think outside the box...

BlackScorpion
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Ride: Carter XTV 150

Postby smgs92 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:56 pm

removing the governor is too dangerous and as red stated doing it on a tecumseh is just plain suicide
so i'll help you out you say you want your tecumseh to go faster how about an straight pipe a after market uni air filter rejet and if you can find one a batman hopup kit that should increase your speed abit it'll give it more power and torque also

or if you dont wanna do that theres always the option of an engine swap my 3202 which is basically the same kart i put a 7hp robin stock and it ran 45mph and its a much more reliable engine
yerf-dog 3202, manco silver fox, custom go-kart, custom truck go-kart, 1970 CZ 125cc racing dirtbike
smgs92
Superior Being
Superior Being

Postby MikeyC » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:12 pm

Red-85-Z51 wrote:even then it makes the kart hard to start because there is no governor to hold the throttle open while cranking.

Ooh, question. I noticed when I put my TEC back together recently that the governor was holding the throttle about half way open while the engine was off. I couldn't for the life of me remember what it looked like before I dissasembled it, and I wasn't about to go and start the engine at half throttle. So I bent one of the springs so that the throttle is all the way closed at rest. Can you clarify your statement above? As in, is the governor supposed to hold the throttle open and then it kicks it shut after the engine starts? My TEC seems to run fine with it the way I have it, although it does take a few pulls and fiddling with the choke and gas to get it to fire up and run when it's cold.

Thanks~
MikeyC
Rookie
Rookie

Return to Murray / Yerf Dog Go-Karts