recommended mods ?

Carter Bros / A.C.E. and Ken-Bar Fun-Carts & Buggies

recommended mods ?

Postby crooks karts » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:47 pm

i recently bought a carter trailhunter with a 10hp tecumseh and no cage. it went about 32 mph( with 2 adults even) i bought a brand new 16hp "clone" type engine for it . has a 40 series converter which i had to buy a new driver because i destroyed the original one trying to remove it from the old motor ! ANYWAYS......i would like to get about 40 mph out of it. any suggestions ? also it has 18x9.5x8 on reas and 16x6x8 on the front. can i just put a set of 20-22 inch tall tires on the rear ?

one more thing........the brakes SUCK ! it has 2 band brakes.......i'm thinking of upgrading to hydraulic. and where can i find reasonable hydraulic shocks for this beast ?

any and all help is appreciated ! thanx !
crooks karts

Re: recommended mods ?

Postby BlackScorpion » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:00 pm

crooks karts wrote:i recently bought a carter trailhunter with a 10hp tecumseh and no cage. it went about 32 mph( with 2 adults even) i bought a brand new 16hp "clone" type engine for it . has a 40 series converter which i had to buy a new driver because i destroyed the original one trying to remove it from the old motor ! ANYWAYS......i would like to get about 40 mph out of it. any suggestions ? also it has 18x9.5x8 on reas and 16x6x8 on the front. can i just put a set of 20-22 inch tall tires on the rear ?

one more thing........the brakes SUCK ! it has 2 band brakes.......i'm thinking of upgrading to hydraulic. and where can i find reasonable hydraulic shocks for this beast ?

any and all help is appreciated ! thanx !

Crooks Welcome to GKRU, I second that motion on the band brakes , I would try HERE. As for mods , removing the governor (not recommended) bigger jets, Air filter replacement,.. Hope it helps.
]If it aint broke.... then MODIFY it!
Think Different....Think outside the box...

BlackScorpion
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Ride: Carter XTV 150

Postby crooks karts » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:01 pm

thanx for the info ! have already been looiking at the billet brake setup from bmi ! i am prob gonna fab up my own header and intake with a better flowing filter also. as for the governor....i think i will leave it intact for now. mabe a torquey cam and some port work will help !!
crooks karts

Return to Carter/ACE & Ken-Bar Go-Carts Buggies