Am I measuring my wheels right?

Carter Bros / A.C.E. and Ken-Bar Fun-Carts & Buggies

Am I measuring my wheels right?

Postby shake this » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:38 pm

Trying to figure out what size wheel, or more importantly, mounting dimensions I need to be looking for when looking at wheels but I’m a little confused base off what I’m reading regarding wheel bolt patterns and center holes. If I give someone my measurements and explain how I’m measuring my bolt circle and center circle could you tell me if I’m measuring wrong?

I know that the wheel I’m using to go off of is a 4” two piece wheel with a maximum width of 2 3/8” and I have a 5/8 bearing. My center circle seems to be 1 ¼” wide and my bolt hole circle seems to be 2 ¾” from center to center or 3 1/8” from outside to outside. These are the two areas I’m not sure if I’m measuring correctly. Also the hub ( not sure if that’s what you call it) that hold the bearings in is connected to the wheel and can’t be removed (I’m guessing like the ones you buy at harbor freight). It’s just over 1 ¼” wide and about 1 ¾” long from the outside of the wheel. So what size is my wheel and what do I need to concentrate on when shopping for new wheels?
shake this
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Am I measuring my wheels right?

Postby BlackScorpion » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:15 pm

shake this wrote:Trying to figure out what size wheel, or more importantly, mounting dimensions I need to be looking for when looking at wheels but I’m a little confused base off what I’m reading regarding wheel bolt patterns and center holes. If I give someone my measurements and explain how I’m measuring my bolt circle and center circle could you tell me if I’m measuring wrong?

I know that the wheel I’m using to go off of is a 4” two piece wheel with a maximum width of 2 3/8” and I have a 5/8 bearing. My center circle seems to be 1 ¼” wide and my bolt hole circle seems to be 2 ¾” from center to center or 3 1/8” from outside to outside. These are the two areas I’m not sure if I’m measuring correctly. Also the hub ( not sure if that’s what you call it) that hold the bearings in is connected to the wheel and can’t be removed (I’m guessing like the ones you buy at harbor freight). It’s just over 1 ¼” wide and about 1 ¾” long from the outside of the wheel. So what size is my wheel and what do I need to concentrate on when shopping for new wheels?

According to the breakdown i gave you this is what the tire size is :Tire & tube assembly (4.10 x 3.50 x 5") if your going with the original size tires and here is another way to measure your tire
]If it aint broke.... then MODIFY it!
Think Different....Think outside the box...

BlackScorpion
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Ride: Carter XTV 150

Postby shake this » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:58 pm

I’m not as concerned with measuring the diameter of the wheel or what size tire will fit as I think I understand that part. I’m more interested in making sure I’m measuring the center circle (important for ordering the correct hub if needed correct?) and the bolt hole circle (again, important for ordering the correct hub if needed correct?)

I guess the real question is, do I even need to be concerned with the bold hole circle except on my drive wheel as long as the other 3 wheels have the correct length for the hub and the correct size bearing then it should mount up to my current spindles?
shake this
Rookie
Rookie

Postby BlackScorpion » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:20 pm

so what your really concerned about is the hub correct? You want it to fit the current one if you need to order one.

BlackScorpion
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby shake this » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:33 pm

The more I thought about it the more I think that is correct or find a wheel that has a hub built in that would work.

My ultimate goal is to run a 5" wheel on the front (like it was stock) and a 6" wheel for the rears and keep everything working with my stock spindles, sprocket and brake drum.
shake this
Rookie
Rookie

Postby BlackScorpion » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:13 pm

shake this wrote:The more I thought about it the more I think that is correct or find a wheel that has a hub built in that would work.

My ultimate goal is to run a 5" wheel on the front (like it was stock) and a 6" wheel for the rears and keep everything working with my stock spindles, sprocket and brake drum.

You should have no problem with that size with the stock equipment , Although if she never drove one you might want to start stock then as she progresses and gets older then upgrade it. First thing first fix it up and get riding! :3some: cheers

BlackScorpion
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby shake this » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:21 am

Finished tearing down to the frame and getting ready to sand and paint. While I was out working on it I decided to take a look at the back wheels and now I know why I was so confused. The front wheels are not what originally came on the cart and so the bolt pattern wasn't standard from what I was seeing on the sites that carried wheels. I feel like such a dumba$$ but at least I know what wheels to order if/when we need them.
shake this
Rookie
Rookie

Postby BlackScorpion » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:55 am

shake this wrote:Finished tearing down to the frame and getting ready to sand and paint. While I was out working on it I decided to take a look at the back wheels and now I know why I was so confused. The front wheels are not what originally came on the cart and so the bolt pattern wasn't standard from what I was seeing on the sites that carried wheels. I feel like such a dumba$$ but at least I know what wheels to order if/when we need them.

Happens to the best of us :3some: now Get r dun!

BlackScorpion
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby shake this » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:09 am

teardown complete and loaded up for the trip to my brother's shop so we can sand and paint. Hope to have the painting finished up by next week.

shake this
Rookie
Rookie

Postby shake this » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:03 pm

I think I figured out my problem with my wheels/hub. It seems that Carter doesn't use the standard bolt spacing as most so that's why I'm not able to find a wheel/hub that matches my measurements
shake this
Rookie
Rookie

Postby BlackScorpion » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:26 pm

Looks good. Can't wait to see the completed buggy.

BlackScorpion
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: Am I measuring my wheels right?

Postby chal3oye » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:03 am

Although if she never drove one you might want to start stock then as she progresses and gets older then upgrade it. First thing first fix it up and get riding! :3some: cheers
GuL
chal3oye

Ride: Honda

Return to Carter/ACE & Ken-Bar Go-Carts Buggies