Murray Explorer (single pass.)Jack-shaft plate

Murray & Yerf-Dog (USA) Fun-Karts, GoCarts

Murray Explorer (single pass.)Jack-shaft plate

Postby WizardMaster » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:09 pm

I am going to buy the 10"X 18" X 1/4" plate and have someone weld the jack shaft tube and mounts onto it but I now feel that I may just have to give the whole plate assembly to someone and tell them to just duplicate the set-up with new angle iron and pipe/tube. Now my problem is, I measured with my trusty calipers, the outside dia. and after using paint remover to get to the bare metal( removing several coats of paint and finding it all original) the O.D. on the pipe/tube ( yeh, I know there's a difference between the two in measuring) came out to 1 13/16" and the I.D. was what looked like very worn and I was unable to get a measurement there. I measured the axle bearings that have a flange and I got 1 9/16" so I suspect the I.D. is 1 9/16". The inside of the pipe looks like some older bearings may have spun a while because there's a step down on each inside end about 1/2" worth. I do not believe this is factory by the looks of the wear, but I will take a closer look.
Does anyone have any information on the tube size, and is it a Tube or is it a Pipe? I'm guessing tube because the walls are not very thick. If push comes to shove, I can just go locate a Pipe or Tube where the inside diameter matches a set of wheel bearings O.D. size and I'm ok with that. I believe the jack-shaft axle is 5/8". Can someone post me some links on where to find the pipe/tube and the jack-shaft bearings that will fit inside it? I will try and post pictures of what I have and it's pretty beaten up and rust pitted with many coats of paint I suspect. I was glad to find it was the original set-up but then thought........ What nasty welds on those angle supports! OK, after looking at it again while taking photos, the tube all looks original inside on the ends because there was original green Murray paint mostly in place inside so maybe I don't have any wear, but maybe there used to be pressed in bearings and they were replaced with the flange bearings. Any ideas about the original bearings? I believe the flange type bearings are slow speed bearings.

Thanks, Scott
WizardMaster
Rookie
Rookie

Ride: Murray Explorer etc.

Re: Murray Explorer (single pass.)Jack-shaft plate

Postby WizardMaster » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:12 pm

I posted a photo but don't know where it went............
WizardMaster
Rookie
Rookie

Postby BlackScorpion » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:00 pm

WizardMaster wrote:I posted a photo but don't know where it went............

If you clicked on the button above the one that says IMG, it allows you to paste an image URL from another site. On what host did you post your image on? I usually use[url]tinypic.com[/url] then i copy the direct image link from there to the IMG button. Perhaps you tried loading it from your computer?
]If it aint broke.... then MODIFY it!
Think Different....Think outside the box...

BlackScorpion
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Ride: Carter XTV 150

Postby WizardMaster » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:28 pm

Yes but, I clicked on the link below that offered 'ATTACHMENTS' which took me to my 'photo albums', which is how I do it on my site and all other sites I've been to. By loading from a hosting site, if that hosting site removes the photo, or the author removes their photo, it disappears from any and all sites it was '[IMG/]' to. This type of photo hosting is why I see so many people here having a hard time grasping the photo posting dilemma. Photo hosting sites are hacked often and the removal of hosted photos can make for a nasty looking site everywhere it was posted to. HERE, I have clicked on many only to find they no longer exist.

ALSO, this thread should be merged with my nearly identical one a week or so ago that I failed to see when I posted this one. AND, had I known that Briggs and Stratton had bought out Murray and destroyed all of their recreational stock such as go karts and mini bikes, I would have dropped doing business with them like a hot cake. I wonder who makes the Preditor 212. Such a great engine for many needs!!!! I think it's Tecumseh under a generic name solely owned by Harbor Fright... :occasion5: ......., another great company from way back ( Tecumseh) . I will try not to do any business where Briggs ' The Destroyers' benefits any more and I hope I'm not the only one disgusted about this. And yes, I'm mainly upset because I cannot find NOS parts. But I know that can't stop the 'fabrication parts' of it all. Thank goodness for quality welders!!WE ( recreationalists) WILL SURVIVE! :salute:

BTW, I am also restoring a CMB 'Custom Mini Bike' with the Tecumseh 6hp which will be swapped out for a Preditor 212 and this baby flies! The chrome covering on my original 6hp is just too far gone to polish out the rust but it runs great and maybe will get a new life on a gokart. What a lot of aluminum to polish on them chopper's front forks! This baby is big ((8 feet long))and the raked front forks are 32"!! I was amazed to find that most items and measurements are identical to REAL American Chopper cycles! The 1" handlebars, the 3.5" handle bar mount spacing, etc! I will buy the rear sissy bar for it custom built and found on ebay, and attempt to make the solo seat a king and queen seat system since you can't buy them cause the rear fender is so low on the 205/50 X 10' rear tire. I won't jump through hoops to make it road legal but, hmmmmmmm maybe I might LOL, and I will outfit it with lights etc. to make it look like the respectable midget of full size 10' + choppers. BTW, I do have the original TITLE from Tennessee( which I see is a rarity) , so if anyone needs any info on this RIGID chopper, let me know. 200 lbs also! I wish I could find a new one in the box because I would buy another kit in a minute! What we do to keep ourselves busy...........

Thanks, Scott
WizardMaster
Rookie
Rookie

Postby BlackScorpion » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:53 pm

WizardMaster wrote:Yes but, I clicked on the link below that offered 'ATTACHMENTS' which took me to my 'photo albums', which is how I do it on my site and all other sites I've been to. ...........

Thanks, Scott

Unfortunately, that is a problem with those money hungry image hosting company , they now want you to pay to host an image and link it else where, nothing you can do about that.

Try using TinyPics you don't need an account and so far it's still free.

If you look in your album do you see the image you uploaded?

BlackScorpion
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby WizardMaster » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:37 am

Thanks for the info!! I'll check it out. I do have tons of photos on Photo Bucket but my account is listed as personal NOT public and I use it like a CLOUD. BUT, now I have a huge external drive and wish I could download them all to my external hard drive and use as needed at TinyPics.com. Thanks for the advice!! cheers

Scott
WizardMaster
Rookie
Rookie

Postby WizardMaster » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:40 am

OOOOPS, TinyPics is out of service and for sale. :dontknow: www.tinypics.com
WizardMaster
Rookie
Rookie

Postby BlackScorpion » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:48 pm

WizardMaster wrote:OOOOPS, TinyPics is out of service and for sale. :dontknow: http://www.tinypics.com

My ba, d it's http://tinypic.com/ .....no "s" at the end

BlackScorpion
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Return to Murray / Yerf Dog Go-Karts