Looking for advice on go cart for young child

...Say Hello Here!

Looking for advice on go cart for young child

Postby Klayfish » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:53 pm

I was hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

My son has pretty much outgrown his 12V electric Hummer truck, not to mention the piece of *$#@ has now broken for the second time and I'm done messing around with it. It has a top speed of 5mph, which my son is somewhat bored with. He is 4 years old. So I want to replace the Hummer. I don't want to get another 12V, as he'll be bored with it in no time. At the same time, I don't want something that can go 20mph with no speed limiter, as he's nowhere near ready for that. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've seen some smaller youth carts advertised that have remote shut off switches and mechanical speed limiters, I think one of them can lower the speed to as low as 6mph. I know Rocketa makes something like that, I've seen something called the Magnum 90.

Keep in mind I'm not looking for something that can do serious off roading or take a hard punishment. I want something that is first of all safe. Beyond that I'd like to be able to limit the speed to 7-8 mph now and increase it as he gets older.

Any suggestions?

Steve
Klayfish

Postby fishy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:12 pm

i think that a kart is a huge step from a powerwheels car maybe you should look at electric ones that are more fun like the razor ground force
fishy
Team Member
Team Member

Postby speed shop » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:07 pm

2002 Murray Hard Drive

Efff the spelling police

Everyone Hates Back Seat Drivers.
speed shop
Dedicated
Dedicated

Postby Klayfish » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:04 pm

Yes, that's something like what I was looking for. I saw the Razor electrics, but I'd prefer him have something that he is belted in to. The other thing that attracts me to some of the ones I've seen is the ability to mechanically limit the top speed. Looks like they have a screw under the gas pedal that keeps it from going down too far.
Klayfish

Postby smgs92 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:08 pm

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... _200316169
here this will last him till hes around 10 i think
yerf-dog 3202, manco silver fox, custom go-kart, custom truck go-kart, 1970 CZ 125cc racing dirtbike
smgs92
Superior Being
Superior Being

Postby speed shop » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:57 pm

lol $899
2002 Murray Hard Drive

Efff the spelling police

speed shop
Dedicated
Dedicated

Postby BlackScorpion » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:54 pm

fishy wrote:i think that a kart is a huge step from a powerwheels car maybe you should look at electric ones that are more fun like the razor ground force

i disagree with you there , I don't think it's a huge step. My son went from 12 v to modified 18v to Grave Digger Monster truck go kart.. no problem converting, just need to explain repeatedly the directions. Ground force is too over priced and he probably will out grow it like the power wheels.
BlackScorpion
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Ride: Carter XTV 150

Postby Klayfish » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:18 am

Yeah, $900 seems a bit steep for something that will top out at 10mph. I tried to post earlier with links, but I guess I'm still waiting for the moderator to approve my status, so I'll try to show you what I saw in searching last night.

If you go to familygokarts.com/gokarts, I saw the Mini Powersport 70 KT. There is also a cart at awesomebuggy.com called the Magnum 90. Is it me, or does it look like the same kart? Perhaps a different engine in it? What attracts me to them is the ability to limit speed to 6mph or so right now, but to be able to grow with it as he gets older and bigger.

Steve
Klayfish

Postby speed shop » Thu May 01, 2008 12:21 pm

you might as well let him live his life, and buy him a full size buggy.....
2002 Murray Hard Drive

Efff the spelling police

speed shop
Dedicated
Dedicated

Postby Klayfish » Mon May 05, 2008 9:37 am

I agree, $900 seems a bit steep. There don't seem to be too many "in between" options. Too old for 12V, but maybe not old enough for go carts. I'm trying to find someone who has experience with something like this...
http://www.familygokarts.com/main.php?h ... =blade70kt

It says you can limit the speed to 6mph, which is only 1mph faster than his 12V. But it can eventually reach a much higher top speed, as he gets older. But before I plunk down the money, I'd want to make sure it's a decent product.

Steve
Klayfish

Return to New Members