Having a bad day...

Old forum threads that should be buried... lie here!

Having a bad day...

Postby red johnny » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:14 pm

Yup. Earlier this week I noted the floor in my bathroom was wet, it has been in the past so I did not worry about it. Then a few days ago I pulled a tile just to see why it seems allways wet. There was a river under the tiles! So today and part of last night I started pulling the flooring up. I am currently to the fourth layer of crap and FINALLY hit the plywood base. I will post up some pics in alittle while for those of you with strong stomachs. I had to pull the toilet and it looks like I have to pull the cabnet and sink. The tub is safe I think. Bad thing is that the base plywood is rotten! So now I have to CUT out the plywood! That is going to suck but once its done and I lay new wood I am going to put down concret board and lay tile. That way I will NEVER have to do this again!
When life gives you lemons, throw hand gernades. It makes you feel better.
red johnny
Committed
Committed

Postby EmptyTank » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:48 am

that sucks, good luck
EmptyTank
Murray Explorer (Rebuilding)
EmptyTank
Superior Being
Superior Being

Postby The tech guy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:10 am

Now the big question. WHERES THE WATER COMING FROM?? I hope you found your problem. I went through this same crap in Feb after buying this place. They had some water issues in both bathrooms. Needless to say $20,000 later things are livable, to where I can have small projects and improve the house.My place was stolen in my book though. lol
The tech guy
Superior Being
Superior Being

Postby red johnny » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:05 am

The tech guy wrote:Now the big question. WHERES THE WATER COMING FROM?? I hope you found your problem. I went through this same crap in Feb after buying this place. They had some water issues in both bathrooms. Needless to say $20,000 later things are livable, to where I can have small projects and improve the house.My place was stolen in my book though. lol

Well from what I have seen it was coming from around the wax seal but that was fixed before I got the house. This time it came from the water inlet on the toilet resivour. This must have happened several times to get the kind of damage I am dealing with. No big deal though cause now I am upgradeing to tile. I do have to cut out the damaged subflooring and pull up the carpet in the hallway to run the tile into there but in the end I think it will look better. I also have to pull the wall paper and repair some of the dry wall. I know it sounds like alot of work but I plan to be done with most of it by next weekend.
red johnny
Committed
Committed

Postby The tech guy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:35 pm

I remember putting those blue toilet fresheners in the resiviour (sp) It was very noticable if you didnt snug it up emough. You will have blue spots on your floor. If it werent for those, I wouldnt have seen the water leak, and had damage!
The tech guy
Superior Being
Superior Being

Postby red johnny » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:12 pm

I know I am still working on getting the pics done. But, I just got back from lowes where they were haveing a grand opening at a new store. I got some nice tile for .69 each! To bring you up to par, decent tile in my area runs 1.99 per so I just saved about $130! I bought 100 tiles cause I want to put tile on the walls. What a great deal! I just got done removing the sink from the wall and that beat me down. They had sealed both sides of the sink to the wall. To make it worse, the mirror was an old style kind where they just used adheasive to fix it to the wall so I had to break the glass apart to get it all off. I got few cuts but nothing deep or big. I think I am going to clean up the current mess and call it a day. I may pull more of the floor up where the sink was but that will be it. Still so much more to do yet.
red johnny
Committed
Committed

Postby red johnny » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:16 pm

Pics are in
Here is when I started
All the tiles are up
All the plywood is pulled up
Finally to the subfloor and the cabnet and sink are gone

EDIT: I dunno why but the photos wont work on this site? Strange cause I used the img tags? If you really want to see them just hit quote and copy and paste the link into your broser.
red johnny
Committed
Committed

Postby The tech guy » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:19 am

In the future I plan to redo both baths. When the guy laid the vinyl, I think he was smoking something. Nothing lines up very well. The pattern is also unsquare with the cabinets. I just wanted to get moved in so I wasnt real worried at the time. I plan on a new tub/shower with sliding doors and a new vanity. And yes new vinyl. We have a Menards coming open right next to Lowes here this month. There always lower than Lowes! I enjoy doing projects like this its always the $ issue! lol
The tech guy
Superior Being
Superior Being

Postby red johnny » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:49 pm

You should try your hand at tile. I will let you know how hard or easy it is when I am done but it will add value to your home and so far does not seem hard at all.
red johnny
Committed
Committed

Postby napalaz » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:54 pm

go with tumbled marble looks great and it doesnt have to be perfect
napalaz
Team Member
Team Member

Postby red johnny » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:16 pm

I would have loved to use marbel but, I don't have the coin to sport for it.
red johnny
Committed
Committed

Postby The tech guy » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:02 am

If things go my way I would like to build my own vanities. I built some in high school that turned out pretty nice. I might think about the tile thing. I do know the heavy tile/vinyl isnt real hard. The adhesive is pretty rough on the nose. The ceramic tile is out! No way will I attempt that.
The tech guy
Superior Being
Superior Being

Return to Graveyard