Advice wanted

Manco & American SportWorks GoKarts, Buggies, Scooters, Mini-Bikes

Advice wanted

Postby adamoxtwo » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:57 pm

So as I have this Kart taken apart, I am going to replace the Engine with a 212CC Predator engine and am debating if I am going to replace the brakes with a hydrolic brake system from BMI.

http://www.bmikarts.com/1-or-1-14-Cast- ... p_583.html

Since I have pretty much no idea what I am doing, as I am not a mechanic, I was hoping for some advice. The brakes on it are shot. I believe that the original owner stored this Kart outside for a couple years so everything is rusted and pitted. Going to take a lot to get this thing right. Any advice would be appreciated.
adamoxtwo

Ride: Manco Havoc

Re: Advice wanted

Postby BlackScorpion » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:23 pm

adamoxtwo wrote:So as I have this Kart taken apart, I am going to replace the Engine with a 212CC Predator engine and am debating if I am going to replace the brakes with a hydrolic brake system from BMI.

http://www.bmikarts.com/1-or-1-14-Cast- ... p_583.html

Since I have pretty much no idea what I am doing, as I am not a mechanic, I was hoping for some advice. The brakes on it are shot. I believe that the original owner stored this Kart outside for a couple years so everything is rusted and pitted. Going to take a lot to get this thing right. Any advice would be appreciated.

Since you're upgrading the engine, it would be a good idea to revamp the brakes. If you really look at the kits, it's not that hard to do, and if you get stuck you could always call them for clear instructions. ABout the rusting and pitting are you referring to the frame? BTW welcome to the world of Go Karting, it's how you learn to work on these things.
]If it aint broke.... then MODIFY it!
Think Different....Think outside the box...

BlackScorpion
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Ride: Carter XTV 150

Postby adamoxtwo » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:49 pm

I was thinking of the hydraulic but I'm worried about how it would need to be modified and not sure I have the experience or know how to do it. I'll have to put some thought into it. I finally got it disassembled so I'm going to bring it to get sand blasted and powder coated. There is a little rust, but not sure how bad until it's hit with sand. I was going to post some Pictures, but I can't figure out how to do it at the moment.
adamoxtwo

Ride: Manco Havoc

Postby BlackScorpion » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:08 am

adamoxtwo wrote:I was thinking of the hydraulic but I'm worried about how it would need to be modified and not sure I have the experience or know how to do it. I'll have to put some thought into it. I finally got it disassembled so I'm going to bring it to get sand blasted and powder coated. There is a little rust, but not sure how bad until it's hit with sand. I was going to post some Pictures, but I can't figure out how to do it at the moment.

If you disassembled it, you should have no problem installing the brakes. As for the pictures , You would need to upload them to your image host , Photobucket,Imageshack, copy the direct link from there and when your replying or creating a new message, click on the above button IMG [ img]MyPhotoLink.com/whatever.jpg[ /img]
]If it aint broke.... then MODIFY it!
Think Different....Think outside the box...

BlackScorpion
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Ride: Carter XTV 150

Postby gofastman » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:54 pm

the most trouble I see you having is mounting. but only if the mounts are different and need to be modified. after that you would just hook up the line and bleed them. that is for hydraulic brakes.
Fix things even if they are not broke. Its called UPGRADES!!
tease
gofastman

Ride: Murray Explorer

Return to American SportWorks / Manco Go-Karts & Buggies