Torque convertor

Manco & American SportWorks GoKarts, Buggies, Scooters, Mini-Bikes

Torque convertor

Postby papasmurf » Sat May 04, 2019 10:50 am

Hey guy's,I just bought an older Manco Dingo kart, less motor and clutch driver unit pulley. I want to install anew predator 6.5 and a new 30 series asymmetrical torque convertor. Problem is the kart has what I think is an older 20 series symmetrical driven pulley where the driver unit faces one direction and thr driven unit faces the opposite. I think the assymetrical convertors both have to face the same direction. Can I run an asymmetrical driver unit with the symetrical driven unit? Can I turn the 30 series driver unit around to match up with the driven unit if I install it on the original jackshaft? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as it's a gift for my 2 grandaughters. Thank you in advance!
papasmurf
Rookie
Rookie

Ride: Manco Dingo

Re: Torque convertor

Postby BlackScorpion » Mon May 06, 2019 4:50 pm

I would be careful putting it backwards might end up causing you problems, have a look at this video and perhaps it should help you out.

https://youtu.be/UK7EW9vcqSw
]If it aint broke.... then MODIFY it!
Think Different....Think outside the box...

BlackScorpion
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Ride: Carter XTV 150

Postby papasmurf » Mon May 06, 2019 5:42 pm

Sorry,but no it didn't.having been an auto tech for 40 years, racing gokarts for many years, i understand assembling a package deal torque convertor! No problem!I will post photos of my Kart tomorrow so you can see what my problem is. Basically it has an outdated 20 series driven pulley, installed inboard, on the jack shaft. I want to install a new comet series 30, but these units are asymmetrical, and the lesser angle pulley faces must line up,or non moveable sheaves. To do this I will have to install either the driver unit or the driven unit in reverse of it's intended installation. I need to know if this is possible or will I damage the new torque convertor? I have worked with many centrifugal clutches, but never tackled a torque convertor.
papasmurf
Rookie
Rookie

Postby BlackScorpion » Mon May 06, 2019 8:46 pm

papasmurf wrote:Sorry,but no it didn't.having been an auto tech for 40 years, racing gokarts for many years, i understand assembling a package deal torque convertor! No problem!I will post photos of my Kart tomorrow so you can see what my problem is. Basically it has an outdated 20 series driven pulley, installed inboard, on the jack shaft. I want to install a new comet series 30, but these units are asymmetrical, and the lesser angle pulley faces must line up,or non moveable sheaves. To do this I will have to install either the driver unit or the driven unit in reverse of it's intended installation. I need to know if this is possible or will I damage the new torque convertor? I have worked with many centrifugal clutches, but never tackled a torque convertor.

In that case have a look at this video, seems he's doing the same exchange your looking to do.

https://youtu.be/khrDvS5drCA

BlackScorpion
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby papasmurf » Mon May 06, 2019 10:52 pm

Closer, but still not quite. But I did get some ideas from the vid. Thanks for the help!
papasmurf
Rookie
Rookie

Postby BlackScorpion » Tue May 07, 2019 10:47 pm

papasmurf wrote:Closer, but still not quite. But I did get some ideas from the vid. Thanks for the help!

Anytime. Sometimes it's better seeing it then trying to explain it.

BlackScorpion
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Return to American SportWorks / Manco Go-Karts & Buggies